The ‘Taking the Leap to Secondary School‘ workshop
Transitioning to secondary school is a significant event for students and their families. It’s a time of immense change – physical, social and emotional wellbeing. Loaded on top then comes the demand of adjusting to a secondary school environment including higher academic and organisational needs.
It’s not surprising that our children can feel apprehensive and overwhelmed at times!
The “Taking the Leap to Secondary School” Workshop opens the door to a simple, structured and adaptable system for time & diary management, along with a bit of preparation work, and decreases stress for both students and parents.
There are two workshops in this series with the first designed to be run in conjunction with a Primary School’s Transition Program for Grade 6 students or a Secondary School’s Year 7 program. It is a 1 hour interactive session and focuses on tips and strategies for how to cope with the move to secondary school. It is designed to equip students with skills to maximise their potential @ school and in life. The workshop:
- prepares students on what to expect
- increases their awareness and knowledge
- reassures them of their feelings and that they are not alone
- decreases their anxiousness
- assists them to be more confident, less overwhelmed and scared about the process
- gives them strategies for successful transitions
- increases their skills so they can be more independent and responsible.
The second workshop is designed for parents and how they can support their child through the transition journey. Practical tips and strategies are provided during this session.
For schools – if you are interested in running this workshop please get in touch and give me a call – 0409 967 166
For Parents – if you and your Year 6 child are interested in attending a Transition Workshop then click here for dates and details. Alternatively these sessions can be run 1:1 with students/parents in your own home – if this is of interest to you please get in touch.
Schools who have conducted this workshop in recent years for their Year 6 students include:
- Ascot Vale West Primary School
- Boroondara Park Primary School
- Brunswick South Primary School
- Camelot Rise Primary School
- Coolaroo South Primary School
- Epping Views Primary School
- Essendon North Primary School
- Geelong East Primary School
- Keilor Heights Primary School
- Karoo Primary School
- Kurunjang Primary School
- Moonee Ponds West Primary School
- Parkwood Green Primary School
- Roxburgh Homestead Primary School
- St Brigid’s Primary School, Gisborne
- St Fidelis Primary School, Coburg
- St Johns XXIII Primary School, Thomastown
- St Joseph’s Primary School, Brunswick
- St Margarets Primary School, Mariybrnong
- St Therese’s Primary School, Essendon
- Toorak Primary School
- Westgarth Primary School